Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489)
This visa allows skilled workers to live and work in regional or low-population growth metropolitan areas of Australia for up to four years.
There are three pathways to the visa:
- The Extended stay pathway
- The Invited pathway
- The Subsequent entry pathway
- Hold a subclass 475, 487, 495 or 496 visa (Extended Stay pathway)
- Be nominated by a state or territory government agency or be sponsored by an eligible relative (Invited pathway)
- Be invited to apply (Invited pathway)
- Have a relevant occupation
- Have a suitable skills assessment for the occupation
- Meet the points test pass mark of 60 points
- Be under 45 years of age at time of invitation
- Have Competent English.
Length of stay:
Up to four years
From AUD 3,670
If you are applying via the invited pathway, submit an expression of interest (EOI) via Skillselect with details of your nominated occupation, skills and qualifications and whether you will be sponsored by a family member or wish to be nominated by an Australian state or territory. SkillSelect will estimate a points score.
If you score high enough:
- You will be invited to apply for the visa if you are sponsored by a relative,
- Australian state and territory government agencies will be able to view your EOI and decide if they want to nominate you. If you are nominated, you will be invited to apply for the visa.
The Extended Stay Pathway:
If you are applying via the extended stay pathway, apply for the visa if you meet the eligibility criteria.
The Subsequent entry pathway:
If you are applying via the subsequent entry pathway, apply for the visa if you meet the eligibility criteria.